How do I appoint a Guardian for my children?

  • Willskeeper

If you die without a Will (or a Deed) appointing a guardian for your children and no surviving parent has legal custody of your children, the office of guardianship in your province becomes the guardian of your children or the court may appoint a guardian. In order for a relative or other person to become a guardian of your children, that person will have to apply to the court for an order appointing him or her as guardian.

If you wish to appoint a guardian for your minor children, you should make a Will. You should also provide for alternate guardians in the event the person you have appointed is unwilling or unable to act. Our easy-to-use platform will help you name a guardian in your Will so it's legally binding.